Albert Woodfox was released from the West Feliciana Parish jail Friday afternoon, hours after pleading no contest to manslaughter in the 1972 killing of Angola guard Brent Miller – after 40 years of solitary confinement. Raising his arm in a salute to cheering onlookers, Woodfox walked out of the fenced perimeters of the jail facility and got into his brother’s car. When asked how he feels, Woodfox said, “I really haven’t decided yet.”
According to theadvocate.com, his next step will be “saying goodbye” to his deceased mother, he said. “I wasn’t allowed to go to her funeral when I was at Angola and my sister as well.” Miller’s relatives said they did not cooperate in the plea deal decision and were told about it by the second-in-command at the Attorney General’s office. Wanda Callender, the guard’s younger sister, said she felt the deal was foisted on her family.
However, in a statement, Attorney General Jeff Landry, who took office last month, thanked the family and said “their support has been instrumental in today’s very difficult decision.” Landry said with the plea Woodfox “stands convicted of the homicide of Brent Miller.”
Back story – you may be wondering why I am blogging about somebody who just admitted killing someone – here is the back story.
A Harrogate Blog – Written By A Harrogate Blogger. Andy Is Harrogate’s Chief Procrastinator. A ‘Funny Little Man.’ By day a web designer, Andy has a hand in several music projects – including being in a chart-topping producer duo and he runs his own record label.